Ultra-Orthodox Jewish men attend the wedding ceremony of Rokeach the grandson of the Chief Rabbi of Belz in Jerusalem

JTA – Hasidic leaders in Montreal reacted angrily to police and youth protection officials locking down a Hasidic school for several hours. Wednesday’s action, described by local media as a “raid,” ostensibly was conducted because the school was operating without an Education Ministry permit and not abiding by basic provincial curriculum requirements.

“This was really overkill,” community leader Alex Werzberger told The Canadian Jewish News. “If you want to use a stronger word: terrorism.”

Even though several Hasidic school are under provincial scrutiny for the same reasons, this appeared to be the first time officials had staged a physical intervention.

One newspaper, Le Devoir, speculated that the raid was prompted by concern over the “development” of children at the school.

The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs’ Rabbi Reuben Poupko said in a statement that since the school in question was operating without a permit, intervention by youth protection would be legal.

“CIJA-Quebec believes that every child should have access to an education in line with the ministry’s requirements,” the statement said.

A former Hasidic Jew, Yohanan Lowen, is currently suing the Quebec government for allowing an illegal school to operate, claiming it deprived him of the secular education he was legally obliged to receive.

Many haredi Orthodox schools offer little secular education, particularly for boys, focusing instead on Judaic studies, and critics argue that such students enter adulthood unprepared to support themselves financially.

Similar complaints have been made by former Hasidic Jews in New York, where a nonprofit called Yaffed is pressing the state to enforce regulations requiring schools to meet curricular standards. The group has also spearheaded a class-action lawsuit against several yeshivas and last year persuaded the New York City Department of Education to investigate secular education at the city’s numerous haredi Orthodox schools. That investigation has not been completed, and activists recently accused city officials of dragging their feet out of a reluctance to alienate haredi Orthodox political supporters.

One thought on “CANADA – Montreal Hasidic leaders call gov’t yeshiva lockdown ‘terrorism’”
  1. No matter what the situation is, they complain and try to turn things around. These groups have fled Canada before, taking along as many as they could, to South America where they became / are a bane on the local community. But they fled because of so many abuse charges especially focusing on this very issue of lack of educational standards. Girls were not educated at all beyond primary grades.

    Interesting the kid turns around and sues THE GOVERNMENT finding them responsible for his predicament, not the rabbis and group responsible for his education. Why does he not blame his family? Oh, yeah might be money from the government. So the government allows the Jews to have their own way and educate their young as they see fit according to their Judaic cult, but somehow is still responsible if things backfire. Wow! Talk about having it both ways. It is not as if the results of these educations is unpredictable, the information has been around for many years. As with so many secular cults (including Amish) the young are kept ignorant and are severely challenged in the outside world.

    BTW I find those group photos of those guys to be extremely disturbing. Talk about big black clouds of oozing vileness…. words are not adequate…. One might suffocate from the lack of breathable air…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Discover more from The Ugly Truth

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading